After four days, the meetings were suspended while the entire Definitory and many other brothers from the General Curia went to Santiago de Compostela for the Episcopal ordination of BR JOSÉ RODRÍGUEZ CARBALLO, titular Archbishop of Belcastro, and Secretary of the Congregation for Institutes of Consecrated Life and Societies of Apostolic Life. When the Definitory returned, the annual meeting with the Presidents of the Conferences began on 20th May. With the arrival of the Vice-Presidents, the process for the election of a new Minister General began. After a day of reflection and discernment on 21st May, the electors – 34 in all – met on the morning of 22nd May and elected BR MICHAEL as Minister General.
During this time and in a few extraordinary sessions prior to and after the Tempo Forte, the General Definitory ratified the election of several Ministers provincial. These included:
• BR MAGGIORINO STOPPA, Minister of the Province of St Bonaventure, in Italy.
• BR MILJENKO ŠTEKO, Minister of the Province of the Assumption of the BVM, in Bosnia Herzegovina.
• BR JOAQUÍN DOMÍNGUEZ, Minister of the Betica Province, in Spain.
• BR AGOSTINO ESPOSITO, Minister of the Province of the Sacred Heart, in Italy.
• BR SABINO IANUZZI, Minister of the Province of Our Lady of Graces, in Italy.
• BR JUAN CARLOS MOYA OVEJERO, Minister of the Province of St Joseph, in Spain.
• BR ALBERTO MARANGOLO, Minister of the Province of the Holy Name of Jesus, in Italy.
• BR LINO GREGORIO V. REDOBLADO, Minister of the Province of San Pedro Bautista, in the Philippines.
Of particular significance was the erection by the General Definitory of the new Province of Blessed John Duns Scotus, in France and Belgium, and the election by the Definitory of the first government of that Province:
As Minister Provincial: BR MICHEL LALOUX
As Vicar Provincial: BR ALEXIS MIGNOT
As Provincial Definitors:
BR BENOÎT DUBIGEON
BR DOMINIQUE JOLY
BR BATITTE MERCATBIDE
BR DIDIER VAN HECKE.
The Definitory also named several General Visitators:
• BR EDWARD TLUCEK, of the Province of the Assumption of the BVM, USA, for the Province of the Immaculate Conception, in Great Britain.
• BR RAMIRO DE LA SERNA, of the Province of St Francis Solanus, in Argentina, for the Province of the Holy Gospel, in Mexico.
• BR IVAN SESAR, of the Province of the Assumption of the BVM, in Bosnia Herzegovina, for the Province of Saints Cyril and Methodius, in Croatia.
• BR FRANTIŠEK XAVERSKY OLBERT, of the Province of the Most Holy Saviour, in Slovakia, for the Province of St Wenceslaus, in the Czech Republic.
• BR PETRUS KANISIUS AMMAN, of the Province of St Michael the Archangel, in Indonesia, for the Custody of St John the Baptist, in Pakistan.
• BR CÉSAR KÜLKAMP, of the Province of the Immaculate Conception of the BVM, in Brazil, for the Custody of the Seven Joys, in Brazil.
• BR MARIO RAFAEL TORO PUERTA, of the Province of St Paul the Apostle, in Colombia, for the Province of the Holy Faith, also in Colombia.
The General Definitory reviewed and approved amendments to the Particular Statutes of the following entities:
• The Province of Blessed Junipero Serra, in Mexico.
• The Custody of the Sacred Heart, in Brazil.
• The Province of the Most Holy Name of Jesus, in Brazil.
• The Custody of the Seven Joys, in Brazil.
• The Province of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary, in Argentina.
During this period, the General Definitory considered the reports of two General Visitators: that of BR MANUEL BLANCO concerning the Province of the Most Holy Annunciation, in Albania, and that of BR MARIO FAVRETTO concerning the International College of St Anthony, in Rome, a house dependent on the Minister General. Several other reports were presented concerning the situation in several different entities of the Order where the brothers are facing particular challenges. The Definitory will return to each of these at a more opportune moment. A number of decisions concerning the content of the material to be presented and the method to be followed in dealing with it at the Plenary Council of the Order in November were also taken. Significant updates were given on some of the General Chapter mandates, especially n. 14, concerning the interdisciplinary study of the situation of the Order. Some of this information was shared with the Presidents and Vice-Presidents during the day of reflection and discernment prior to the election of the Minister General.
As always, the members of the Definitory devoted some time to sharing among themselves their own experiences since the previous meeting. Some issues of personnel were presented and decisions will be taken later. Finally, a total of 73 files (plichi) from around the Order were examined and the appropriate decisions made.
The Tempo Forte ended on Friday, 24th May, with a meeting between the newly elected Minister General, BR MICHAEL, the General Definitory, and His Excellency, BR JOSÉ RODRÍGUEZ CARBALLO, the Secretary of the Congregation for Institutes of Consecrated Life and Societies of Apostolic Life. In the course of that meeting, BR JOSÉ shared with the Definitory some of the challenges he sees facing the Order today, and some of the preoccupations that he has. At the end of the encounter, he joined the Definitory and the rest of the fraternity of the Curia for lunch.
31st May 2013
Aidan McGrath ofm