- Promote in Initial and Ongoing Formation the values of our Franciscan spirituality highlighted in JPIC.
- Examine the impact of our style of life on creation, especially regarding climate change, and promote environmental justice in order to highlight the relationship between social and ecological themes (cf. the specific projects for Africa, the Amazon and Indonesia).
- Promote active non-violence in our lives, with particular emphasis on the resolution of conflicts.
- Pay special attention to the excluded of our society, according to the reality of each Entity, with a particular commitment to the defense and promotion of human rights.
- Consider and promote the ethical use of economic and natural resources in the life of the friars, in their ministry and in society.
By Jason Welle, OFM
BURLINGTON, WI - From June 3rd-5th, five of the animators for Justice, Peace and the Integrity of Creation for ESC Provinces gathered for their annual workshop with the novices at the Interprovincial Novitiate. After offering some theological reflections on JPIC and the place of JPIC in the General Constitutions of the Order, they focused their input on the five priorities for JPIC outlined by the 2009 General Chapter:
The 13 novices were highly engaged throughout the workshop, particularly during a discussion of the U.S. Provincial Ministers’ recent letter in support of Comprehensive Immigration Reform. The time together filled all with hope for the future of the order in promoting justice and peace!